kidLAB is a year-round program that provides academic support, mentoring, recreation and cultural activities to children ages five to 12. Programming includes daily meals and transportation from school to BBF Family Services and home. Yearly enrollment averages 90. kidLAB operates from 2:30pm to 6:00pm during the school year and from 9:00am to 5:30pm in the summer. The program is open full days when children attending CPS Track E Schedule schools are out and when any school is out for break or teacher training days.
kidLAB’s primary programmatic goals are to:
- Provide a safe environment for all children through maintenance of secure facilities, careful screening of all agency staff and volunteers, and the creation of a programming environment that is warm, welcoming and supportive of all
- Bolster academic achievement through daily homework help, academically enriching special projects, access to state-of-the-art technological resources, and alignment of academic activities with Illinois State Learning Standards
- Promote healthy physical, social-emotional and ethical growth through a spectrum of structured and age-appropriate activities that foster positive interaction among peers and between adults and children
- Encourage creativity/cultural awareness by providing opportunities for artistic/cultural engagement as well as regular access to the many cultural resources of the city of Chicago
- Partner with parents, teachers and the larger community in delivery of program and services
For more information on kidLab, or to schedule an appointment to enroll your child, contact Crystal Cross at 773-542-7328 or email@example.com .
Stories from kidLAB
Markeita kidLAB Participant
“The staff cares about the kids. They give us one-on-one help with homework, and they are fair to everyone. Nobody is the favorite. It’s like everyone is the favorite. We all get a snack and get to go on field trips. We all get presents and a party at Christmas time, which is really fun. I really do look forward to coming to BBF after school. Sometimes I can’t wait to get here.”
Diane BBF Parent
“BBF has given all of us in the North Lawndale community upstanding programs for our children. My son has struggles at school, and it makes him feel low. I work late at night, and I cannot always help him with his studies when I get home. BBF takes the time to work with him one-on-one, and he has really improved since starting in kidLAB. He has more self-confidence, and we both have hope for a better life and a better future.”
Made possible in part through funding provided by: